Friday, September 2, 2011

Saddle Rock Mountain, Wenatchee

Today I decided to hike up Saddle Rock Mountain in Wenatchee. I've always wanted to - so I just decided to do it.
  Last night was my Husband's Birthday dinner at 'The Windmill' in Wenatchee and we both really over ate! (no surprise there)  So I felt that I had to do some extra work today to account for all the eating last night. Well, it really was an experience and I learned a couple things from it.  One was that I really would like to do it again sometime and the other was that I should take a friend with me!
It's one thing to walk 11 miles around the river where you feel safe and there are other people around - and it's another thing to walk up hill a few miles with no one around and the last part of it is very dangerous slippery rock under your feet.   At one point I had to tell myself to stop and sit down and think for a minute.  There were plenty of times I could have easily slipped and fell and hurt myself pretty good.
Yeah........stoooooopid......I know.



 The above are some pretty good shots (in my opinion) of my view over Wenatchee.
 Here's a pic of me Happy. (before I encountered the dangerous area).
And below is pic of the Rock - you can see why they named it 'Saddle Rock', right??
 And above is a pic of part of the dangerous area that I climbed, it doesn't look that bad in a pic, but it was straight up, I promise.  As I was coming down, I slid down......sort of.....
 Here's some other pics around the top area.
 Here's a pic looking up from the trail that I was coming down.

 This is one from up at the top.

 Okay, the above one is where I stopped and realized that I couldn't get over that top wall of Rock and that I shouldn't even try......as I don't have anyone around me if I fall.
Then the below one is the one that I took after I slid down aways and thought, 'This may be the last picture of me in this mortal life!'   (Ok......maybe I'm being a little overly dramatic.....:)
But you can see, that I'm a little worried. I think I will stick to my beloved Apple Trail Loop around the river from now on.  Wow.....the polka-dots (what my grandkids call them) on my face are really bugging out!

No comments: