Monday, September 20, 2010

Bishop Jay

Yes, I've got to post about my husband, Jay.
Something happened on September 12th this year to us.  Jay was put in as Bishop of Ephrata 1st Ward in our town of Ephrata, Wa.
We are members of  ' The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints' (Mormons). 
We both have grown up in the church and been members most of our lives. Our children were raised in the church, too. (of course).
Here's a link to our church website - if you are interested in knowing more.....:)
LDS.org
     I really never thought I would be a Bishop's wife, but now I am and I don't know what to think of it!!
I'm hoping I can just hide in the background and not have to say or do much.  But people are telling me that I can't do that.  I do keep busy at church with either playing the organ or the piano for our meetings. I am comfortable now in being in that role. And I have been in the presidency and as a teacher in different auxillary organizations in the church. (Primary, Young Womens, Relief Society)  I am thankful for all the experience that I've gained from being able to serve in these positions.  Right now I'm the 1st counselor in our ward Relief society, but I think that will change soon - since Jay is the new Bishop.

   About Jay being the Bishop, I have no doubt that he will do an excellent job. He is a great leader and has such a good, kind heart.  And he definitely does get things done.  It's amazing to me how he already has stepped right into the position and it seems to fit him.
He really cares about the kids and the young men and women. They all seem to like him, too.
I think it didn't hurt that for all these years he has been known as the Candy Man.  He always has something in his pocket for the kids after church. It's usually a wrapped candy, like a smartie or jolly rancher or pepperment, etc.  It will be interesting to see how he will handle this now with all of his other duties.

  He was in a Bishopric about 10 or so years ago (as a counselor)  with Dave Hammond.  Dave lives by us and he and his wife and family have been good friends.  Jay learned a lot of good stuff from Dave and will always be grateful for that time to work with him.  Dave was the reason our boys got their Eagle Scout Awards.  I know they wouldn't have been able to receive that honor without all of Dave's help. So we are eternally grateful for that and so are our sons.  It really does take a village to raise a child.  And I'm glad the Hammonds are in our Village!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

He will be a wonderful Bishop! And you will be a wonderful Bishop's wife! One thing people can feel from you both is that you care about others and have such big hearts. Heavenly Father knew what he was doing! Love you!

now I just have to get myself back to 1st ward eventually!

Marie Winters Adams said...

Thanks, Leslie,
That was so nice of you to say.
Yes, we need you guys back in our ward!! Love ya, too....:)