Thursday, June 3, 2010

The critters......

Well, I had a great walk yesterday - even though I got rained on a little bit. But I was surprised at all the critters that I encountered on my walk.
The first picture is of some ducks (or geese??) and their little ones following behind.  I couldn't get them all in the picture, but there was quite a bunch of them and all out floating on the river.  It was a beautiful sight, but for some reason doesn't look as good to me in this picture.
  Then when I was walking across the footbridge over to Confluence Park - I looked below me and saw at least 20 (I counted) big fat gophers or muskrats or whatever you call them.  You can't see them very well in this picture....but they were there.   I was surprised to see so many of them hanging together. It looked like they were having a family reunion or something.

  And I think you can tell by this last pic - Yes, it's a big snake - but it's just a bull snake.  I was close enough to see that it didn't have any rattlers on the tail.  I'm also surprised that I saw a snake this early- usually it's toward the end of the summer - when it's really hot.  Oh, well....................
    And the other day I saw a huge Eagle fly right over my head.
 Oh, and while I'm mentioning wildlife - I saw the cutest little owl on my walk around the farm here.  I thought it was a baby owl, but Jay says there are small owl species around here.
   So you never know what you will see if you just get out and walk.  Sometimes it is hard for me to get out there, but I'm always happy that I did and I always feel better afterwards.

Now I have another pic to post.  It is of Rocky Jay and me.  We took this before the Elma, WA 1/2 mara (that we didn't end up doing) a couple weeks ago. When we went to the race start - there was hardly anyone there and we realized that this was a very, very  small town race.  In fact we were worried that we were the only ones in it, because the other people that were there - were in the bike race part.  I've never been to a race that looked that badly organized - they even gave us a shirt from another race.  They didn't have their own shirts!  So we decided to go up the road and the guys could go golfing.
 That's okay - I'll learn to check out the reviews on the races next time I sign up.  This one didn't have any reviews - I should have known.

1 comment:

Sylvia said...

I clicked on the pic of you and Rock and I noticed that the hotel in the background says "Microhotel" So you were right about how small the town is. Haha!