Monday, June 14, 2010

Sage and Sun - 5 miler

Yep, I did do the Ephrata Sage and Sun fun run. I chose the 5 miler, because I had done it in the past and thought I would have no problemo. But I was wrong - everyone else that ran the thing - ran the whole thing!  I know that I'm a walker/runner - I can not run the whole way. 
Well, for some reason this time - there were no walker/runners - just runner/runners.
That's okay, I guess.
It's just that my name will be last in the Ephrata newspaper - which is a little humilating. It brings back all those memories that I think I told here in my blog awhile back. 
It's a story about when I was young and in a long distance race and was the last one. My Dad loves to tell it and has told it in church a few times. He says, and I quote,"Marie was way behind everyone else and should have just quit the race, but no she did finish it and was given a standing ovation - just because she finished!"
I know he is emphasizing that I didn't quit and that's what is important - but much to my chagrin - I still feel the pangs of being the last one and everyone thinking I should have just dropped out of the race - because I was sooooooooooo far behind.
Well, I will get over it now, because I am 50 and I feel like I don't care about the ego thing anymore. There are plenty of people like me in the 1/2 maras that walk and run - and do it for their health.  I will just have to stick to those kind of races!  Because I'm not last in those kind of races!! (knock on wood)
I do have to say that is was nice of Roger Pugh.(who had a shirt on - that on the back said, "Don't let the fat guy beat ya!")  Anyways, Roger did run back after he finished the race and both him and his daughter ran to the finish line (again) with me!  They were nice to think of me........:)

No comments: