Monday, August 9, 2010

Should I be scared??

I had another great walk around the river today. Saw a lot of people on bikes. I'm noticing that more and more -people are riding bikes - instead of walking these days. I guess it's the thing to do, but I really don't want to get into it. For one thing, you have to buy an expensive bike. Then you need a helmet, and then you need biking pants and then a biking backpack and then gloves(I've seen a number of people wearing these weird gloves).  Well, you get my point.

I've had a couple people tell me in the last month - that it's not good that I walk by myself on that walk around the river.  That something could happen to me. You know I've been doing it for at least 4 years now - (sporadically) and I've never felt scared.  I don't walk at night and I always have my cell phone in my hand (ready to call 911) if I have to!  I use to carry mace, but  I've stopped that.  I really have decided that I'm old enough now - that I don't think anyone would want to mess w/me.  And if they did - well, I've had a good life.  ummmmm. I guess I should not sound so non-chalant about it.  But when you are walking in a public place w/lots of other people running and biking - you feel pretty safe.

Now walking out here alone around the farms - maybe that's what I should be scared about!

Sunday morning I was doing my usual 4 mile walk out here by our place - and on the last 1/2 mile ( coming down Rd. 5 )- I spotted a couple walking towards me on the road.  They had a gas can - so I asked them if they had trouble and needed some gas.  Well, yes, that was true.  So I walked them back to our house and had Jay help me get them some gas.  Now their story had some holes in it, but I won't tell all the details here.  Just that I was surprised that at 9am on a Sunday morning - I would encounter a questionable looking young couple on the road outside of my house. You never know, but I still don't think we should walk around being scared all the time.  It takes so much joy out of our lives.

No comments: