Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Evil and Good

Quote of the Day: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

“If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

This is a quote that a friend  posted on his blog recently.

It really hit me hard, because my thinking has been closely related to this quote.(lately)
This is something of the human condition that we struggle with daily. (I believe)

Who am I to ever point at others and say that they are bad or wrong ?- when I myself am far from perfect and might commit the same infraction if I were in their situation.
I think about this every time I drive. I am quick to condem someone on the cell phone or someone that has cut me off, etc.   But when I'm in a hurry or stressed, I have found myself doing the same thing that I hate to see other people doing.    I have to constantly tell myself to quiet the inner being and not get upset.
Aren't we all so complicated!?
I believe that usually when a person is angry or upset - it is because  old pain or emotion  triggers it.
And when a person gets angry, the ability to think rationally is greatly diminished.
I have heard before that an angry person has no more ability to think rationally than a drunken person.
And you should never try to reason with a drunken person!!

Well, on another note. There was a crazy situation in Moses Lake this week. The Columbia Basin Herald had put a comment on their FB page that a mentally ill man died (that everyone knows, because he has walked the streets there everyday for the past few years). 

I was quite alarmed at first, because I had seen this man many times( because I go to Moses Lake quite a bit.) One time I even stopped and talked to him and tried to help him out.
 He would walk the streets in torn clothes and an old pair of shoes - no matter what kind of weather.
I sat one day at Dairy Queen watching him in the pouring rain taking his shoes on and off and sitting on the sidewalk just drenched -with no thought of the cold around him.
I kept thinking of how easily I could end up like this. Life is so crazy, aren't we all just a few steps away from insanity?? (like this situation)
Well, when I tried to help him out....he said he didn't want any help, just a little money to get him a meal at McDonald's. So okay I can do that.
( And come to find out - a lot of people have done the same thing for him.)  

So,  I later found that the rumor on ' The Heralds'  facebook page wasn't true.(and they have since deleted it and apologized)
 He was taken to the Tri Cities area and is in some kind of rehab place there.  I hope he is doing better.

No comments: