Friday, October 14, 2011

Quote of the day - Helen Keller

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.  They must be felt with the heart.
-Helen Keller

Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow.
-Helen Keller

The story of Helen Keller always reminds me of how important each one of us are.
I'm sure that it was very hard for her to keep her face to the sunshine, since she was both deaf and blind. But yet, she still said that quote.

Today I had lunch with some friends and I noticed that we had a hard time dwelling on positive things - when there is so much negative that we can talk about.
 One friend just found out that her Mom has breast cancer, so you know that we all have plenty to say about that. Then another has a lot of pain with her back and she is much too young for that. (I know she is at least 10 years younger than me.) She's been having a very tough time finding any relief .   Another had just got her daughter out of the hospital and had a very big ordeal with that.
Her daughter was there and I was amazed at how great an attitude she(the daughter) had. She said that she really had a life changing experience (spending a month in the hospital and almost dying). 
 I realize now that she was the one that was looking at all the positive around her, even though she couldn't walk very well yet.
Now that is putting your face to the sunshine and not dwelling on the shadows.
I hope I can do that more.

No comments: