Saturday, January 1, 2011

A different New Year.........

Happy New Year! I hope it will bring more love, peace, and happiness than last year. Not that last year was terrible, just that it could be lots better.

I don't think I can catch up with all that has happened this last month. It's just been a very, very busy month.

The day after I last blogged -
 my Mom-in-law (Vera) fell at church and broke a lot of bones.
I just happened to be the one bringing her to church and trying to keep her from falling at the time.
We were so great about stepping carefully around all the snow and ice to get into the building.  But right when we entered the building - I let go of her to shake someone's hand and she took off and tripped on one of those mats that they have at the inside entrance of the building.
 I saw it all.  It was like slow motion to me.
 Nothing I could do - but try to help with all the aftermath of it.  And that is what we are still doing. (and will be for a long time)
It has been very sad this whole month to see how painful the whole thing has been for her. She broke her hip, her wrist, and her foot.  She already has a a broken right arm that can't be fixed and now her left side is bad.
So she can't even feed herself right now.  So many friends and family  have been so great to come to the hospital to see her and  to help feed her.
She has lived by us - our whole married life. I'm very lucky (blessed) to have such a kind, good, sweet mother-in-law.  I just hate to see her living the last of her days like this. (She is 87.)
She has had a lot happen to her in the last 15 years - since Jay's Dad died.
But to make a long story short, it doesn't look like she will be able to take care of herself again. She will probably always be in a Nursing Home now.  I do feel bad it happened this way, but like I said - there's not much I can do about it. 
Here's a few pictures of her in the last few years:



Well, maybe I'll just stop here and tell you the happier stuff in my next blog.
We did have a great family vacation this Christmas - so I will have to do a blog on that.
I'm kind of a downer right now (have a cold). So our celebration of the New Year was to go to bed early.
Yep that's sad.

1 comment:

Sylvia said...

I'm so sorry this happened. Even though Vera is the one who has it the hardest, I feel bad for you too. It's not easy dealing with things that are beyond one's control.
I haven't visited Vera yet, I've had too many germs I don't want to share, but I will get in there.
I want to hear the happy things you did over Christmas. Did Jay get Dave's present. He just left it on the porch and I kinda worried about that. Happy New Year!