Sunday, February 7, 2010

Being a Grandparent.

I've been thinking a lot about 'being a grandparent'. It's so hard for me to really explain all the feelings I have when I think about these beautiful grandchildren.
I can't even begin to explain the feelings of unconditional love that I feel for them.
When my children were young  I feared that they would remain toddlers eternally and that I would never sleep through the night, would always feel slightly stupid, and would permanently smell like sour milk and be forever changing poopy diapers.  But now I know that life with children defies logic; the days are unbearably long, but the years fly by. One moment your little guy is teething and then suddenly, he's graduating from college. That kind of perspective would have helped me so much as a parent.
Now that I finally see the light - I can sit with my grandchildren very patiently and watch cartoons. I can walk with them or stroll them around the block repetitively, because I know how precious and fleeting childhood is.  If only I was that patient as a parent!  Oh, well..........I get a second chance with my grandchildren. I feel so wise!

BTW, I did start up my walking again. I went 3 miles yesterday. Now back to the every other day routine.

1 comment:

Sylvia said...

No matter how many times people told us to enjoy the moment, it was mighty hard to do while we were in the thick of raising children. You are right, being a Grandma is wonderful. I bet those kids miss you between visits!