Wednesday, May 1, 2013

My Best Friend

But oh...the blessing it is to have a friend to whom one can speak fearlessly on any subject; with whom one's deepest as well as one's most foolish thought come out simply and safely. Oh, the comfort-of feeling safe with a person-having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all right out, just as they are, chaff and grain together; certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then with the breath of kindness blow the rest away."   "Dinah Craik, A Life for a Life, 1859

I really like this quote. I do feel that I have a friend like this and that friend is my husband.  It's taken many years for me to feel that I can say almost anything to him and he will understand. I guess we had to pretty much grow up together - to finally understand each other.
It's true that we still have our days when one or the other of us feels grouchy and sometimes says something that may hurt the other's feelings. But we are quick to forgive each other.
I'm so thankful for this. It wasn't easy to get to this point and I pray that it can only get better from here.  I see so many couples that have crumbled as a couple and others that are crumbling. All I can do is be grateful that we have the relationship that we do and try every day to make it better.

No comments: