Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Thinking...

I've been thinking a lot today, because I've been crossing the country on Airplanes all day. I'm at the Memphis Airport right now waiting for my final flight to Mobile, Alabama.  I've never been there, but that's where our son, Rocky is going to live for the next 4 years.  He will be doing his Pathology residency there. So I'm going down to meet Rocky and help him find a place to live.  I'm sure he could do it on his own, but it's nice to have family support, right?!  And it's a fun trip for me - I think.....we'll see....:)

Well, I started this blog yesterday while I was traveling- but I got interrupted by a couple calls I got from my husband and son.
 All the thoughts that I was at the time thinking about have kind of lost their zip, but I hope I can articulate some of those thoughts here now.  I was at 4 airports yesterday and did a lot of people watching. Most everyone I smiled at - for some reason or another - didn't smile back. It just seemed like a grouchy day for all the people that I bumped into.(not literally bumped)
 Maybe I scare people with my smile, I don't know.
Anyways, I saw the news on a TV at the Memphis airport that showed a video of a man that helped a woman from getting stabbed and then got stabbed himself and nobody would help him.  One guy even took a picture of him and could clearly see that he was bleeding.(this was in NY) It took a long, long time before he got any help. He just lay there on the street bleeding. (Lots of people walking by.)
 Are we really getting so de-sensitized that we won't even stop and help anyone anymore?? Are people just afraid to get involved anymore? It's sad.
 I myself am afraid to pass by a bum in the street that wants money from me.  I have usually tried to give them some money, but then- others have told me that it just goes to the purchase of liquor and does them no good.  So then I have walked right by and tried to avoid eye contact - but I don't feel very good about that either. I think the mob mentality (of not caring about the little guy) is too alive and well out there.
We will never progress and prosper (like we should) if that's how we live our life. 
Well, that's my 2 cents for today.
 I know that realistically - all I can do is just try to be better myself.
I will continue to smile and be optimistic as much as possible - even if I meet a lot of sour pickle suckers out there!
And after thinking about it, I think I should try to keep giving that bum a few dollars whenever I can -  after all, we are all God's children.

1 comment:

Sylvia said...

The world would be a sadder place without you smiling at people. Keep it up.