Monday, April 19, 2010

Wenatchee 1/2 mara

Well,
here I am after the 1/2 mara in Wenatchee on Saturday. I feel like I did ok. My time was 2 hours 42 minutes.
I know it isn't my best, but I realized (after I started running) that I wasn't in as good a shape this time. I guess I haven't been training as good as I thought. It's one thing to walk/jog around on your own all the time, but when you get with actual competition - that's a whole other ballgame!!  I'm not as sore as I have been before, but on my walk today - I sure couldn't do any jogging/running! 
I ran into an old friend from High School (Toppenish). He and his wife had become avid runners. They were good and very experienced. He thought this was my first 1/2 mara and when I said it was my 8th - he seemed a little surprised. I know I don't look like a runner and there were plenty of serious runners at this marathon ( I noticed.)
He did give me some tips that helped when he passed me on the route. I know I hunch over a little when I run and he said something about that. I consciously tried to straighten up more and I'm sure that helped. Yes, thank - you , Joe, if you ever read this! Also, my breathing is kind of erratic - he showed me a way to breath out slowly and more rhythmatically as I'm running.  Anyways, they were good pointers - I'm always learning.
I noticed at this marathon - they had a couple of massage therapists working on people right after the race.  Boy, I was tempted. I might try that one of these times.  My friend Janene says that she usually schedules a massage after her races. Very interesting.......sounds good.
Well, life goes on and I know I need to find another race - to keep me going and motivated here this summer.

1 comment: