Friday, September 4, 2009

My Trip around the Sun

Today's definitely a rest day for me - after yesterday's 20 miles. I'm sore , but surprisingly, not feeling as bad as I thought I would.
Well, the summer is over. It's time to think about the fall. Tonight I'm going to my first Football game of the season. It's not here in Ephrata, but in the hometown I grew up in - Toppenish.  Toppenish is playing Zillah.  Zillah's football team is coached by my brother - Rock Winters. 
  Our Dad - Bob Winters was a football coach in Toppenish for many, many years. (I think it was around 30).  Mom and Dad still live in Toppenish and in a couple weeks Dad is being honored by having the Toppenish Football field named after him.  That's a very exciting thing for him. (and us)  Dad has been great about helping and teaching many young men on and off of the Football Field. And many of those young men have called, sent messages and are coming to the event to honor him.  Now that I'm talking about it, I'll relay to you something that one of his old football players wrote about him:
(Actually this is from a friend of mine - that was my age: Eugene Longoria):

One thing that I've learned about being in education, you will never get 100% of your
students to love or even like you all the time.  But your Dad made a difference in so many of our lives that what he taught us will never die.  I teach many of the same concepts and lessons we learned on and off the field - to my students.  Think of how many kids he has come in contact with.  I have touched literally 1000's of kids lives over my short career.  A piece of your father is in me!!!!  He has lived to touch kids lives  he will never ever know.......that is awesome.   And I'm only one of his former student athletes!!!  How many of us became educators and coaches?  I don't think he realizes the chain reaction one man has created, him. :)  being an asst. principal means I can tell those who end up in my office about my high school experiences.  To set them straight like your dad did to us.  We all deserve second chances.

Wow.....Isn't that great! And I know Dad has many more notes like this that have been passed on to him.
He really has influenced a lot of kids and of course, I'm one of them - being his daughter. I'm so thankful for my wonderful Parents. My Mom's pretty great, too.  I'll have to boast on her another day.
Here's a couple pictures of the 2 of them.
Oh, the Song for Today is:   ' Trip Around the Sun'  - by Jimmy Buffet
This blog is a little bit about my trip around the sun. :-)

No comments: