Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Walking and Music.........my two favorites.

Today I was able to walk for an hour and a half. (My toe is much better.)
I didn't walk very fast in that amount of time - maybe about 4 miles.
But I did get to listen to some great music on my Ipod.
I'm not too good at sitting still and meditating, but I'm pretty good at walking and meditating. Today I just wanted to listen to music, tho, and think of nothing else. Music can be so soothing and inspiring. I get a lot of pleasure from listening to music. Sometimes I forget that. That's why I like to walk, because then I remember to bring my tunes and listen to music. I suppose that's why I like to walk alone a lot.
Anyways, I've been able to enjoy many kinds of music in my life. I'm very thankful for that. I guess I'm even thankful for my old piano teacher (Mrs. Busby) who taught me so much. Although, she use to use a ruler to kind of slap my fingers when I played wrong notes. I don't think anyone would put up with that nowdays!
Mrs. Busby did expose me to some beautiful classical music and even some modern day music.(at the time) Because of her - I'm able to play about anything in the Hymnbook at church and I've been able to accompany many people singing other music. I do know I'm not as good as a lot of people that are diehard musicians. But I'm okay and I've played the Organ for our Church for many years. I'm really glad that I've been able to do that. (now) I use to feel a little put upon in years past, but it's just because I had a lot more on my plate back then.
So now I think of many times that my mood has been changed for the better, because of music that I have listened to. Over the years I've been endeared to many wonderful songs. I have a lot of favorites that bring back good times and memories.

Also, Jay & I have been able to go to a lot of Broadway Plays that have some great music. I guess I'll name a few that come to mind:

Les Miserables
Phantom of the Opera
Westside Story
Evita
Beauty & the Beast
Lion King
Aidia
Cats
Grease
Singing in the Rain
The Sound of Music
Fiddler on the Roof
Jekyll & Hyde
Damn Yankees
Miss Siagon
Ragtime
Chicago
Annie Get your Gun
Me and My Gal
Hello Dolly
Joseph & the Amazing Technocolor Dreamcoat

Wow, As I started remembering - I just couldn't stop. I really am glad that we've been able to see all these shows and there are more that I can't think of right now. We've also been to some great concerts.
But I'll spare you and not list all those that I'm thinking of right now.
My point is that it's great for us to have all these things available to us. Sometimes we take it for granted. I just can't imagine our world without these finer things and music is pretty much it.(in my book)

No comments: