Saturday, March 13, 2010

The sun will come out tomorrow.

Yes, today is tomorrow. The Sun did shine today. I walked 4 and 1/2 miles - I just couldn't jog or run it for the life of me. But that's okay - I did get to enjoy the sunshine.
I'm glad this week is over. My mother is doing better and will get out of the hospital soon.
For some reason (big reason) I have a hard time spending time in the hospital with my loved ones. It's something I should be use to by now - but I'm not. Every time - it brings back all those times before. (memories)
I've spent a lot of time with our son, Rocky - because of his health condition. He's had his fair share of surgeries already in his young life, because of his condition. He has Neurofibromotisis #2 - a very rare condition. It's condusive to having slow-growing benign tumors that form on your nerves.( Mostly growing on the Spinal column and the ear canal nerves.) We found out about his condition because of permanent hearing loss that he was having in College. Anyways, he has tumors on both of his main Ear nerves. He should have lost total hearing by now, but we were able to get gamma knife radiation treatments on both tumors which mostly killed and shrunk the tumors. So we are lucky that he can hear out of his left ear some at least. He had a surgery on his Right ear (decompression) - but it didn't work out well and most of his hearing is gone there. He's also had a very delicate surgery on his neck to remove a big tumor. (That was a tough one.) And he will have more in the future, because of other tumors on his spine. But we are so blessed that he has been able to manage all this throughout his Medical school and even now that he will be starting a Residency soon. There will always be those 4 hour MRI's that he has to endure every 6 months or so, but he is pretty positive about it all.
Well, I didn't mean to get into such detail about Rocky - because I was really going to explain about my great love (sarcasm) for hospitals.

My son-in-law, Chad had a motor bike accident in 2004 and that was probably one of the most trying hospital experiences I've ever had.
#1- it was in an Idaho Falls hospital that we've had a bad experience with before.(son Greg & friends)(1998)
#2 -Chad was in there for almost a full month.
#3 -His Dr. and others made some big mistakes - which could have been fatal.
We'll I will just mention those 3 things - but our daughter, Staci had our 1st grandchild through it all. That added some stress (for her especially).
Also, Chad was suppose to graduate that month - and he was so stressed about being able to complete all his classes and still be a certified Seminary Teacher.
So - I do have one thing that I have to say about that experience that bothered me a lot about his Doctor.
I tried to talk to the Dr. and I was trying to sincerely compliment him on doing something right with the first surgery. I said ' how do you get through a 7 hour surgery in the middle of the night, when you've just done a 10 hour surgery before that?? That's so amazing".
And he looked at me and said, "Drugs, that's how I get through it".
(note: he wasn't smiling - he was dead serious)

I've thought about that many times and I think he thought I was being cynical or something. Who knows.
But it was so different then this Dr. was with my Mom this last week. He (Mom's Dr.)really was sincere and kept apologizing to us for the mistake. He even asked to say a prayer for my Mom a couple times. (And they were great prayers.)I know he isn't of our religon, but he is definitely of some Christian faith and it was very, very comforting.
I think it helps a lot (emotionally and spiritually) to have that kind of a physician. And I don't care what any one tells me - I believe that our emotional and spiritual condition effects our physical condition.
Okay, I guess I've said enough for today.

1 comment:

Sylvia said...

What an intense week. I am so glad things are going better.